National Spumoni Day | Spumoni Cupcakes
Man, I agonized over National Spumoni Day for a little while. I am happy to challenge myself, and really that’s one of the points of this food holiday challenge I embarked on, but sometimes (most times, if I’m being honest) I just want something easy. And honestly, I wasn’t sure I knew what spumoni was so I did look it up to get some recipe inspiration. (And then I saw this recipe on the Betty Crocker website and the rest was history…)
According to Wikipedia, spumoni is usually a molded Italian ice cream made with layers of different flavors and colors, usually containing fruits and nuts. Well, I’m not the greatest with molded ice cream – my Baked Alaska was a totally new experience. So I really didn’t want to go that route. I needed something different.
Enter: Spumoni Cupcakes! Thanks, Betty Crocker!
There’s no ice cream in this dessert, but the colors are the same as a traditional spumoni. You’ll also find varying flavors – pistachio and cherry – and nuts from the pistachio. Chocolate frosting tops these cupcakes to round out the spumoni feel. Enjoy!
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 3/4 of box (4-serving size) pistachio instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1/4 cup cherry juice (from jar of maraschino cherries)
- 1 container (12 oz) Betty Crocker™ Whipped chocolate frosting
- Jumbo marachino cherries for topping
- Heat oven to 350*F. Place paper baking cup in each of 12 jumbo-size muffin cups.
- Make cake mix as directed on box; divide batter evenly into 2 bowls. Add 3/4 box pudding mix to 1 of the bowls; mix well. To other bowl, add cherry juice; mix well.
- Split up pistachio batter evenly among muffin cups. Divide cherry batter evenly over pistachio batter in muffin cups.
- Bake cupcakes and cool completely as directed on box, usually 15-19 minutes, or until .
- Frost cupcakes with frosting. Top each with a jumbo maraschino cherry.