National Irish Coffee Day | Chocolate Cake with Irish Coffee Frosting
Although I’m not a huge cake fan and I’m not a huge chocolate fan, there is just something about chocolate cake for breakfast. I usually store the chocolate cake in the fridge and pull out a slice to enjoy just as the sun is rising.
National Irish Coffee Day made this even better as I licked the plate clean of all frosting. Irish Coffee is sugar (white, but I saw brown sugar listed in some recipes), Irish whiskey, and hot coffee, topped with thick cream. I thought it would be the perfect frosting accompaniment to a moist chocolate cake. Due to time restrictions, I used a boxed chocolate cake mix instead of making my own, but I take no shame in that game. It came out delicious and I used less groceries. 😉
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp coffee
- 1 tbsp Irish whiskey (I used Jameson)
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Espresso (or chocolate) powder, for dusting
- Make cake according to package directions.
- Combine heavy cream, coffee, Irish whiskey and sugar until peaks form.
- Dust with espresso or chocolate powder.
Tomorrow: National Pistachio Day