National Lemon Meringue Pie Day | Mini Lemon Meringue Tarts
All desserts are better in miniature. At least that’s my feeling about the whole thing. Not only are they cute, but they also keep you from eating too much, and using too many ingredients for no reason. I’m not a fan of wasting food, and since we don’t have children and sometimes don’t have anyone to give my dessert away to, the miniature desserts, in lesser quantities, are much better.
Anyway here is the recipe for mini Lemon Meringue Pies. Enjoy! And honestly, you can eat more than one because, well, look how small!
Mini Lemon Meringue Tarts
- Premade mini tart shells
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup lemon juice
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Whisk sugar and eggs together in a large microwaveable bowl. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, and butter, whisking until incorporated.
- Microwave mixture, 1 minute at a time and stirring after each minute, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour custard evenly among tart shells and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar. Slowly add the sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Evenly divide meringue among tart shells.
- Set tarts in the refrigerator to set and until ready to serve.