National Chocolate Eclair Day | Chocolate Eclairs
Yesterday we had family fun day at my aunt’s house. It was swimming in the pool, eating a spread of food, minute to win it games in which I failed every single one, going through family recipes, playing card games, and finally, baking these chocolate eclairs for National Chocolate Eclair Day.
Just thinking about it all still exhausts me, but it was so much fun!
My cousin Stefanie is a great baker, and I knew she would have a chocolate eclair recipe for me to make and then share for the food holiday! We made them together. Since I didn’t have my DSLR with me, these are cell phone pictures, which are pretty embarrassing this late in the game, but you know, here they are anyway…and they’re wonderful!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 450*F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring until butter melts completely. Reduce heat to low, and add flour and salt. Stir vigorously until mixture leaves the sides of the pan and begins to form a stiff ball. Remove from heat. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to incorporate completely after each addition. With a spoon or pastry bag (or a Ziploc bag with the corner cut), pipe dough onto cookie sheet in 1 1/2 x 4 inch strips.
- Bake 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325*F and bake 20 minutes more, until hollow sounding when lightly tapped on the bottom. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine pudding mix and milk in medium bowl according to package directions. In a separate bowl, beat the cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- Fold whipping cream into pudding.
- Cut tops off of cooled pastry shells with a sharp, serrated knife. Fill shells with pudding mixture and replace tops.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Stir in hot water, one tablespoon at a time, until icing is smooth and has reached desired consistency.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly, and drizzle over filled eclairs. Refrigerate until serving.